How to Copy or Move a hotComm License
Document number: hcmfaq.001
Copyright (c) 2003, 2008 1stWorks Corporation. All rights reserved.
Applies to: hotComm Standard/Pro, minimum version 3.20.006.
You can export a copy of your identity and license from one computer and import it into another computer. You can repeat that process multiple times to copy your identity/license to multiple computers. However, you can log in from only one computer at a time.
Note: when you put in a new unlock code, hotComm makes an automatic export that you can import. The temporary password is the last 4 characters of the unlock code you just entered.
To copy a license from one computer to another, you export your identity from one computer, and import it into another: This process also copies your User list, abbreviation expansions, and other files.
- Click Registation, then Export Identity. If this button is grayed out, disconnect from all rooms or sessions and try again.
- In the Export Identity window, make note of your ezPeer website, and enter a temporary password. Then, click OK.
Remember your temporary password and website!
- Wait for the "Export Successful" message, and click OK.
- Close hotComm on this computer before you begin the import into another computer.
If hotComm is not installed, on your computer, download and install it from www.hotcomm.com/downloadHC.asp. When you reach the Registration Wizard, stop, and continue from step 4.
0. Optionally, disable your personal firewall. You can restart it after the import is successfully completed. [If you are uncomfortable disabling your personal firewall, first try the import without disabling the firewall. If that does not work, then disable your personal firewall and try again.]
1. If hotComm is running, click Registration, then Import Identity.
2. If hotComm is not running, click Windows Start, then Programs (or All Programs), then 1stWorks Corporation, then hotComm, then Register hotComm.
3. In the Registration Wizard, click the bottom option (import).
For website, enter: your-hotComm-ezpeer-website
For password, enter: your-temporary-password
and click Next.
4. Wait for the "Import Successful" message and click OK.
5. Click Finish to import your replacement registration.
6. Then start hotComm. To verify the registration, select Registration, then Profile Information.
Export-Import Identity FAQ
What data must match?
The website and password. The password is case-sensitive.
How long is my identity saved on the 1stWorks VNS server?
Approximately 30 days after export, or until you import it, whichever comes first.
How many times can I import an exported identity?
Once, but you can repeat the export-import process multiple times to copy your identity/license to additional computers.
Is the identity deleted during export or import?
The identity is NOT deleted from your computer when you export it.
Where is my license stored?
Your license is stored on your computer, not on the 1stWorks Servers. That is why you move a license from one computer to another rather than just download new information from a server.
Which files are exported?
This process exports (and imports) the registration file (HCRG.DAT) and these files in the hotComm/USR folder: abbreviations (ABBREXP.HCA), user list (CONTACTS.HCD), personal info (PERSONAL.HCD).
If you have customized IM-Live or ezPeer files, copy them manually. See Copying other files.
Do I have to repeat this every time I buy a new license?
Yes. If you have copied your hotComm license/registration to other computers, remember to re-import your license into those computers. You can use the automatic export for this if you wish.
Copying other files
To copy customized IM-Live or ezPeer files, copy them from your first computer to your second.
- The IM-Live files are in: c:\program files\1stWorks\hotComm\WEB\IM-Live\ folder.
- The ezPeer files are in: The full path is: c:\program files\1stWorks\hotComm\WEB\.